Findlay, Ohio-based Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. has released its eighth annual Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Sustainability Report – “Responsibility the Cooper Way.” The report is available on the company’s corporate website at http://coopertire.com/Corporate-Responsibility/Sustainability.aspx.
“Through Cooper’s yearly CSR and Sustainability Report, we detail our progress on these initiatives that reduce environmental impact, improve employee health and safety, and support communities. We are committed to these efforts and reporting our progress to key stakeholders,” said Brad Hughes, president and CEO. “Our company purpose states that everyone deserves to travel through life’s journeys with confidence, and Cooper is there at every turn. This statement, along with our company values, guide us in our commitment to corporate social responsibility and sustainability.”
Highlights from the report include:
- Significant reduction in the amount of waste landfilled by its manufacturing plants over the last several years. Cooper recycles approximately 83 percent of its waste annually.
- Continued strides in energy optimization through upgrades to energy efficient LED lighting, and continually using energy in a more efficient manner.
- Sustained focus on employee health and safety and recognition for safety efforts, including two sustainability awards for health and safety from the U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association. Cooper has reduced its total recordable incidents by nearly 49 percent globally over the last five years.
- Continued involvement with important industry organizations on CSR topics, including the Tire Industry Project (TIP). Cooper is a founding member of the TIP-initiated Global Platform for Sustainable Natural Rubber (GPSNR).
- Active participation in its communities by focusing on tire safety, education, youth career development and donating resources – financial, in-kind and time – to charities that make an impact where Cooper people live and work. For example, in 2019 Cooper and the Cooper Tire Foundation donated approximately half a million dollars to nearly 100 nonprofits, awarded scholarships to deserving students, and matched employee donations to charities around the globe.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion, and recognition for this effort by earning a score of 100 percent on the most recent Corporate Equality Index conducted by the Human Rights Campaign as well as being honored by the Women’s Forum of New York and 2020 Women on Boards for gender diversity in our boardroom.