Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp. debuted DriveTech, what the company said is the most advanced display and controls system in the RV industry, at last weeks’ RVX: The RV Experience trade show in Salt Lake City.
DriveTech prioritizes safety in a connected world by putting every command in a centralized location. Company officials said DriveTech’s new ergonomic steering wheel and column-mounted controls are paired with OptiView’s all-digital gauge display to create a more automotive-like feel – setting the industry standard for luxury RV driving.
“The world is changing, and DriveTech provides an innovative and forward-thinking update to the RV driver’s station to provide the luxury experience modern drivers expect,” explained Tony Sippel, VP of sales, marketing and product strategy for FCCC. “DriveTech is another industry-leading innovation from FCCC – streamlining and simplifying controls to help them focus their full attention on maneuvering and piloting the coach.”
A recent study found 80 percent of collisions and 65 percent of near collisions involved some form of driver distraction, often from using electronic devices while driving, according to FCCC. DriveTech simplifies controls to help drivers focus their full attention on maneuvering and piloting the coach, Sippel said.
DriveTech features and highlights include:
- OptiView all-digital instrument cluster features a bright, anti-glare display and easy-to-read interface
- Bluetooth connectivity provides hands-free operation through easy-to-reach controls
- Tire pressure monitoring system shows pressure of each tire and triggers alerts for low pressure, high pressure or leaks – even for tires on a trailer or tow vehicle
- OptiView instrument cluster accesses extensive and customizable coach data, including fuel economy, performance settings, vehicle and internal diagnostics, transmission prognostics and system information.
- RoadWatch (optional) – FCCC’s state-of-the art assisted driving and safety system that includes adaptive cruise control and collision mitigation.
- Push-to-start button and advanced key fob includes two buttons for OEM-programmable actions
- Right- and left-hand paddles allow for easy-to-reach column controls versus traditional shifter pads