THOR Publishes North American Motorized EV Study Results
THOR Industries announced the release of the company’s North American Motorized Electric RV Study, which explores consumer expectations, key purchase motivators and electric infrastructure development needs.
The company said it will use the data to inform its high-voltage electric platform innovation, which will enable the THOR family of companies to industrialize motorized electric RVs to exceed consumer expectations.
Comprehensively confirming the need for long range solutions such as THOR’s high-voltage solution, THOR’s study found that 45 percent of consumers expect to be able to drive 5-6 hours on a single charge. This data aligns with results from THOR’s 2021 North American Path to Purchase Study in which 70 percent of new RV purchasers reported traveling an average of five or more hours from their home for RV trips. THOR’s newest survey reflects that only 3 percent of consumers expect to charge after two hours or less of driving, which is the range currently offered by low-voltage motorized electric RVs.
The survey included questions to assess consumers’ interest level, intended usage, charging and service expectations, as well as identify factors challenging their purchase of motorized electric RVs. The featured information was collected from current and potential electric vehicle owners who are interested in purchasing a motorized electric RV, who have had some level of RV experience within the last 10 years.
Several key findings from the survey include:
- 47 percent expect to use a motorized electric RV at least “once a week or more often” or “once every 2 to 3 weeks”
- 97 percent expect to drive three hours or longer before charging
- 70 percent report that the inclusion of an onboard fuel cell for recharging the vehicle’s battery positively impacts their purchase interest level, regardless of a small carbon footprint
- 44 percent expect a fact-charging (one hour) station at each individual campground spot
- 34 percent report charging time is expected to be 45-59 minutes
- 34 percent report charging cost from empty to full is expected to be $41-$60
“As the global leader in the RV industry, it’s important that we share some of the critical data and insights used to inform innovation efforts across the THOR family of companies, which allow us to anticipate and exceed consumer expectations,” said THOR President and CEO Bob Martin. “Our motorized electric RV study confirms that the high-voltage motorized platform we’ve developed meets the expectations of consumers, however charging infrastructure development is necessary to increase adoption. When it comes to electrification, THOR is positioned to redefine the RV experience.”
For more motorized electric RV findings and to view the North American Motorized Electric RV Study, please download it here. To learn more about THOR’s electric RV innovation, click here.